Thursday, May 31, 2012

OBAMACARE'S FINAL INSULT: A WOMAN'S SUFFERING IS WORTH $45 - $70 PER MONTH!




Shown below is the text I have sent to my U.S. Senator regarding my appeals to TRICARE/EXPRESS scripts to have them provide a name brand medication to my wife instead of a "generic equivalent". The details of all of this have been amply provided in previous blogs, as shown in the links below:

http://thepatrioticsoldiersblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/obamacare-example-of-what-we-can-expect.html

http://thepatrioticsoldiersblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/update-on-preview-of-obamacare.html

http://thepatrioticsoldiersblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/obamacare-curse-strikes-again.html





We received the results of our final appeal option yesterday. I have posted this text of a letter to my Senator in which I have quoted the decision of the appeal. I have blacked out the names of the medications involved, her symptoms, and the name of my wife's doctor to provide some privacy for my wife. But the decision and my reaction to it are obvious. Make your own decisons from here, but from my perspective, the future for America's healthcare as would be dictated by the government, and believe me that is where we are heading under Obamacare, is disastrous. If you doubt me, just examine the type of treatment received when you go into the Social Security office for help, the U.S. Post Office, or talk to anyone under Medicare or Medicaid and see what type of treatment they receive compared to what individuals receive under private healthcare options. The government's treatment is nothing short of inhumane and barbaric.





Dear Senator Vitter:


I have kept you advised regarding our appeals to TRICARE/EXPRESS SCRIPTS to have my wife's prescription for the name brand medicationYAZ reinstated. As you know, we have made three written appeals to have the prescription reinstated. We just received the most recent one, a denial, from the outside agency which is the final appeal available under TRICARE/EXPRESS SCRIPTS's policies. Again, the appeal was denied. I am enclosing below the text of the letter regarding the decision:



TQMC DECISION

In response to your request for a reconsideration of the initial denial determination made regarding the above-referenced service, this case was presented to a board certified independent physician reviewer.

After conducting a thorough re-examination of all the information contained in your medical record and consideration of any additional information submitted, the physician reviewer has upheld the denial.

There was no information about which generic substitutes were tried by the patient nor the duration that each was used. There were no specific details provided about the generic equivalents failure to control cramps and abnormal bleeding.

This is very unusual because the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) clearly state that generic equivalent drugs produce the same clinical results and safety profiles and are interchangeable for therapeutic benefit (1,2). There is no detailed evidence in the records reviewed to challenge this conclusion.

It is also unclear as to what generic drugs the patient used and how long she tried each one. It would be reasonable for the patient to try all the Yaz generic equivalents, such as Vestura, Loryna, or Gianvi, whichever she has not used yet and to do so for at least three (3) months in order to determine if it is effective.



I find it abhorrent that a medical physician who supposedly reviewed all the information provided by us and by Dr. Pennebaker would make such a statement. And please keep in mind that we are talking about appealing a decision on a prescription that will cost approximately $40 to $65 more per month than the generic brand product that TRICARE/EXPRESS SCRIPTS wants to force my wife to take.



As I read this letter, the United States Government's policy, as enforced on its veterans and their families, thinks it appropriate that one of its citizens be forced to try as many as three different medications for a period of up to three months with the possibility that the citizen could suffer severe bleeding and cramps that she already has experienced when forced to try a different generic drug a year earlier, when there is a product that the citizen has already tried which it is known causes no suffering side effects.



Is there any other conclusion than that which states the United States Government is willing to take a chance and inflict up to nine months of suffering onto one of its citizens in order to save $70 per month when it throws more than that away on a variety of worthless give-away plans to citizens who pay no taxes and have never served a day in their lives in the service of this country? It is improper for me so show absolute disgust that my government will allow the President of the United States to waste millions of dollars politicking by flying around the country at $8 million per hour in Air Force One, but cannot justify paying even as much as $70 a month for a prescription which it know absolutely to cause no side effects to the wife of a man who spent twenty years and fought in two foreign conflicts?



What happened to the primary oath that all physicians follow of “First, do no harm.”? It appears to me that this covenant has been overshadowed by the Government's covenant of “damn the patient, save a dollar”.



Needless to say, I am disgusted and disappointed and depressed. Disgusted at the priorities that my government has established with regard to the medical treatment of its veterans and their families as is shown in my and my wife's case. Disappointed that in a country like the United States of America, the Federal Government could institute a policy or even make a statement that would suggest it would think it appropriate to force medications on a woman for up to nine months that could cause her to suffer with excessive bleeding and cramping when there is a medication proven by the patient's usage for years available that has no risk of side effects. That is just barbaric.



I am depressed to think that this is the type of care and the type of conflict that I can expect for the rest of my and my wife's lifetime. I served my country for twenty years. I would think that I have earned for my wife and my family at least humane treatment when I or my wife are sick. But all I am receiving is treatment that tells me the Government is willing to accept my wife or I suffering pain and discomfort for up to nine months in order that the government can save from $40 to $70 per month.



When I joined the military in 1969, I was promised, if I served twenty years, free medical care for me and my family and a pension for life. That promise was broken years ago. Now, I cannot even expect humane treatment for me and my wife, even with me paying for the coverage.



Let me ask you, Senator? Would you allow this type of treatment for your wife or your children? Would you stand by and watch your wife double over in pain and suffer sever bleeding and do nothing? Would you force her to try different medications that could cause her pain and suffering for up to nine months when there is drug she had been taking for YEARS before which was now being denied her that did not cause any side effects?



Sincerely,








No comments:

Post a Comment